"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt Disney

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Rivet Your Readers With Deep Point of View

Rivet Your Readers With Deep Point of View is a valuable tool for those studying point of view. The novella begins with POV basics and continues by covering what many professionals are calling “Deep Point of View.”

She asserts and uses examples to prove that if you write in DPOV you will eliminate any “show, don’t tell” problems you may be experiencing.
A professor recently told me it’s easy for writers to identify POV and even “show, don’t tell” issues in anothers writing, but it’s often difficult for those same writers to define or explain to others. This book helps with these problems.

For such a short work Nelson covers a lot, exercises included. I found this to be a very useful guide for only a few dollars.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I bought this book and read it, and I'm glad it did. I think her technique and examples are really helpful. After reading this book, I read a few samples of her novels and she indeed applies what she teaches here, but almost to a fault. I found a constant deep POV to be almost frenetic feeling. Sometimes it's OK to back the reader out and be a little less intense. Some authors are very skilled at knowing when and how to apply deep POV to be most effective for the reader.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to check this out. Thanks, Sylvia. :)