"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt Disney

Friday, October 4, 2013

Proud to Be: Writing by American Warriors

My interview of Vietnam War author Tim O’Brien will appear in Proud to Be: Writing by American Warriors, Volume 2 which releases on November 15th.

This anthology presents essays, fiction, poetry, interviews, and photography by military-service personnel, veterans, and their families. It is the second in an annual series published by Southeast Missouri State University Press in cooperation with the Missouri Humanities Council's Veterans Projects and the Warriors Arts Alliance.  
"The stories and poems of service and sacrifice are essential in understanding what has so broadly been termed 'the American experience.' For me, Proud to Be: Writing by American Warriors is required reading and worthy of a thousand tears."     ―St. Leger Monty Joynes, veteran, Vietnam

Books can now be preordered from the Southeast Missouri State University Press for $15 and will soon be available on Amazon as well. Volume one can still be purchased from both.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great idea for a collection. Congratulations on your contribution.

Mark said...

Whoa, you interviewed Tim O'Brien! I'm a big fan of all of his books, very cool:) Thanks for the follow as well:)

Remembering Grace said...

I agree with Julie, that is a great idea for a collection. As an Army brat who grew up on military bases, this is something I really am interested in reading.
Thanks for the info, and for the follow! I will be looking for this to come out on Amazon.. :)
- Michelle

Suze said...

LOVE the hat, Sylvia.

Unknown said...

Wow! Congrats on the anthology piece. Thanks for your blog visit, Sylvia. Did you know we're neighbors? Sort of. I'm from Brenham, TX. Nice to connect with you. :)

Patsy said...

Sometimes it seems poetry, personal reflections and fiction can tell us more about events than we can learn from straight facts.

Sylvia Ney said...

Thank you all for the congratulations! I'm so proud to be a part of this great project. They are already taking submissions for volume three if you're interested.

Mark - Tim was very cool, personable, and so very interesting. I hope one day you'll get the chance to hear him speak.

Suze - thanks! Someone told me fedoras were passé - no longer cool, but I think they are fun!

Candilynn - That's awesome! - "The birthplace of Texas" and the Blue Bell factory - life is good ;-)

Jack said...

That is exciting! Congratulations! I will have to see if I can get a copy

Anonymous said...

Thank you for submitting your interview with Tim O'Brien to Volume 2 of Proud to Be. I am extremely proud to say one of our contributors interviewed one of my "writer heroes." Now I am pleased to say you are in that group also. Peace, Deb Marshall, Founder, Warriors Arts Alliance